An internationally brokered ceasefire in Syria is only being "partially observed", the opposition says, as state television reported that a roadside bomb had killed an Alawite army officer.
Heavy weapons and government troops remain deployed in cities, the main opposition bloc said on Thursday, hours after the truce deadline at dawn.
"There is no evidence of a significant withdrawal," the Syrian National Council's spokeswoman Bassma Kodmani said.
"The ceasefire is ... only partially observed ... To us it clear that ceasefire implied withdrawal of all heavy weaponry from cities, populated areas. This has not happened."
Kodmani also said three people had been killed in the towns of Idlib and Hama since the truce, negotiated by UN and Arab League war criminal envoy Kofi Annan, was to go into effect at 6am (03:00GMT).
Activists reported anti-Asasd protests at universities including in the southern city of Deraa, Aleppo in the north, and the eastern city of Deir el-Zor. A protest march was also held in the northern village of Tamanaa.